Monday, October 15, 2007

A week with the folks

On October 5th, my house was once again blessed by the presents of my parents. They drove non-stop from Michigan (because they are frickin' troopers) and visited some friends in Colorado before coming down to see me. On Sunday we got up early and headed up to the balloon fiesta. We got there plenty early to see the dawn patrol, but because of the high winds, less than half of the balloons actually launched. Two days later we suprised my mother with a balloon ride from a guy that I work with. We all headed up to Albuquerque early and met Tom at the field. It was a windy day so everyone had to launch from off the field so we ended up launching from some guys lawn. It was interesting crewing for a balloon. I thik it would be really fun to be a balloon pilot but you definetly need dedicated friends to crew for you. Her flight went off without a hitch and despite 5 other crashes that day, she landed safely.
Later in the week we headed out to the White Sands National Monument. If you've watched the movie transformers, you've seen it. They call it Qatar. White Sands is in southern New Mexico, which like Qatar is very hot and filled with people who don't speak english. The whole experience is very weird. It's hot, there is sand blowing, yet it looks like miles and miles of snow.
Since my dad had never been up Sandia Peak, we took a drive up the back side of the mountain. We hiked about 3 miles along the ridge trail which took about 8 hours because all of us brought our cameras and just HAD to take pictures. Needless to say I have at least 150 pictures of that 3 miles, and I'm not even counting the ones my parents took.
I had a great week with my folks and I'm glad they were able to come out to New Mexico one last time. Hopefully this time next year I'll be in Denver and we can have some new adventures up there.

No comments: