Friday, May 7, 2010

Dinner Time!

Sometime last summer, on a camping trip with the Blocksmas, some random folks dropped off some trout they just caught, but since they didn't eat fish, they gave them to us.  The next weekend, Liz was kind enough to cook them up for all of us, and I believe that was the first time that I've ever eaten a whole fish.  I guess technically, I didn't eat the whole thing, but it was served whole.  You get my point... Anyways, the fish was freaking delicious, and every time I go shopping, I see those whole fish staring back at me with their googly eyes, but I've never tried to cook one myself.

Well today that changed.  I stopped by the ol' Supper-Dupper for some fresh veggies to grill up for dinner and saw some fresh trout just layin' around on the ice.  I decided, "what the hell, lets give it a go."  I grabbed two trout, some fresh herbs (a pre-made mixture of rosemary, sage, thyme, chives) and some lemons.  I stuffed a little bundle of herbs in the belly of each trout, then two slices of lemon in each belly as well as three on top of each fish.  I wrapped them in foil and threw them on the grill for 7-minutes per side.  Originally I planned on dressing up the plate to post a picture of my achievement, but I was too hungry, so this is all that was left.

I'll definitely do more whole fish in the future.  It was tender, delicious, and really freakin' easy.  I have to admit though, that I've let my hero, Tony Bourdain down, and I didn't eat the eyeballs.  Maybe next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're making us look bad, Sarah! A brand new baby one week and the Barefoot Contessa the next! You go, girl!

Sarah said...

Oh sweetie, you are too kind, but let me make you feel a lot better! Brian actually wrote this post and cooked the fish. I would not dream of trying something so elaborate like that, especially with eye balls still in tact, even if I wasn't busy being a milk cow at the moment! ;)

Unknown said...

I actually had to rip the head off the fish before sarah would eat it. Something about the food staring at her not being appetizing...

Also, you can usually tell if write the post because they are nearly as well written/funny/witty/interesting... ;)