(This is an older post written back in July by Sarah. I just noticed and and published it now)
I'm terribly at this blogging thing lately, but I would like to detail a typical day in the life of Adeline. Seeing as Brian works crazy shift schedules, it's just been Adeline and I holding down the fort much of the summer. So without further ado, here is "how Adeline do":
Morning:
My alarm rings at 7am. Dang it. I get out of bed and get a shower. At this point I'll usually hear Adeline stirring, playing with her musical dog "Violet" and just talking to herself in general. She's a happy girl when she wakes up, on the weekends sometimes Brian and I will listen to her yack for an hour even before we get up if she's not crying. It's a glorious thing really. So I go in her room, and she sees me and jumps up all excited like. I pick her up and the first thing she usually says is "Bay-la," as she sees Bella walking in the room. I put her on the changing table to change her diaper - this is the only time she gets mad when sometime changes her diaper. First thing in the morning, you take her diaper off, and she's pissed. I mean really, this should be the best thing that happens to her all day! I try to remind Adeline that she's getting her butt cleaned and a refreshing diaper after sitting in doo doo for 12 hours, but she doesn't care. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm laying her down again right when she got up for the day. But anyway, diaper changing is not usually a fun part of the morning. Kids.
So after I change her diaper, I sit her up and she's instantly a happy camper again. I get her clothed so she can calm down a little before I do her hair. Getting her hair did is not quite on the list of things Adeline loves either. Usually she gets in a fuss, so I take her off the table and put her down, and start doing the hair of a moving toddler. She laughs and thinks it's hilarious that I'm trying to do her hair while she's running away from me. But it gets done. I get the diaper bag ready and we take off to daycare. We leave the house around 7:30am or 7:45am at the latest. It's pretty much a get up and go routine every morning.
Daycare:
Adeline goes to daycare every day and she really likes it. She needs to be entertained by other kids, as you will find out later in this post. I'll go visit her at lunch most days, so that's fun for both of us. At this point, daycare is a good situation for everyone involved. By the way, Brian was a stay at home daddy for two days last week when Adeline was sick. I have been informed that he has since retired, however. I will be hosting a lunch soon for his long 48 years, er, hours of service.
Evening:
Fast forward to the evening.
Get home from daycare around 5:30pm. Adeline is grumpy. I think it's a combination of a few things: 1) I've taken her away from the awesome toys and kids that she was engrossed in 2) Because of this she needs my undivided attention to entertain her and make up for it 3) She suddenly realizes she's hungry and getting tired
So I hurry up and try to get dinner ready while trying to keep Adeline occupied in the meantime. Today, she is hungry, and I sit her in her chair and she's in excited about some pizza. she gobbles the pizza down and is in much better spirits afterwards. I get her down from her chair, and runs to the back door and pounds on it squaking "eh eh eh!!!" So we go outside on the patio. She gathers all her toys and throws them in the baby pool. She then starts taking the toys out one by one and throwing them over the stone wall. She wants me to go get them. I know this game, as I know she will just throw them back over the wall once I get them. So when I don't get them, she climbs onto a patio chair and stands on it. I try to ask her to sit down but she won't. I decide it's time to go inside.
So we go inside, and now she wants to go play in the front yard. So I sit on the porch and watch her run up and down the driveway and yell and laugh. She loves it.
So we're done with that. I decide we should go for a walk. So we go for an hour walk around the neighborhood. This is one of the best parts of the evening. I get to get out and get some exercise, and she's very content sitting in her stroller and taking in all the sites.
We get home, and I try to sit on the couch and relax. Adeline wants to get on the couch. So I put her on the couch and she climbs all over me. Then she wants down. She wants the TV remote I just picked up. I take the battery out so she can play with it. But now I want to change the channel. I take the remote back, but the battery back in, and change the channel. Adeline grabs the remote. I try to hide the remote. She wants up on the couch again. So I just resign myself to the floor and I put her back on the couch. So she gets on the couch and is now running on the couch and yelling, and then falling on the couch and laughing. She is being super silly. She does it over and over again while i'm trying to make sure she doesn't fall off - there are several close calls. Finally she does fall and I catch her before she hits the ground. I decide we're done with that. I tell her to go get me a book. So she does and we read a book.
She wants to go back outside on the patio. I let her go outside for a few minutes. I tell her it's time to come inside again. She sees I have a clementine. "Eh eh eh!" She wants some! We eat 4 clementines. She runs to the front door. I tell her we're not going outside anymore today. She gets mad but then wanders off.
I try to sneak away to the computer. She follows me and climbs on her table and chair set nearby. She climbs onto on her chairs and then on top of the table and plays for a few minutes and then wants in my lap. I put her in my lap, but she immediately tries to climb on the desk. So I put her on the desk. She bangs on the keyboard. I try to keep her from doing this and push her hands away to thwart her efforts - she thinks it's hilarious and laughs as I push her hands away. She just tries harder. She pushes something to make the font and letter really small. I don't know what she did. We're done with the computer.
We go back in the living room and I try to sit back on the couch. I'm sitting here for 5 seconds with my feet on the couch, and Adeline comes over and puts her head down near my feet.
Ouch!! She just bit my toe!!! She looks surprised at my reaction.
I get down on the floor and read her a couple more books. She starts climbing over me again and again. I then ask her to bring me her toys by name, one by one, to keep her entertained. The living room is now cluttered with toys. She is starting to rub her eyes and get a little whiny. Lo and behold, it's 8pm! Bedtime!
I bring her up to bed, change her diaper, and put her in her F-15 t-shirt. I take her in the bathroom and put a smidge of toothpaste on her toothbrush. I attempt to brush her eight teeth - she complies fairly well. We then go sit in the rocking chair and read Goodnight Moon. I think she has had enough books today - she doesn't really want to read. I put her in her bed and turn on 10 min of Violet's bedtime music. Her pink blanket is not in her bed. She loves her pink blanket. Omg, if I can't find this pink blanket she might not go to sleep. She always goes to sleep so well. I look all over for it and finally find it in our room. Thank goodness. I also fill her cup with water and hand it to her. I make sure a book is in her bed so she can read if she wants before she goes to sleep. She makes no fuss and falls asleep shortly.
I was a engineering major and collegiate athlete. But taking care of a toddler even for 2.5 hours takes hard and tiring to a completely different level.
Goodnight moon, goodnight stars and the red balloon.
I'm terribly at this blogging thing lately, but I would like to detail a typical day in the life of Adeline. Seeing as Brian works crazy shift schedules, it's just been Adeline and I holding down the fort much of the summer. So without further ado, here is "how Adeline do":
Morning:
My alarm rings at 7am. Dang it. I get out of bed and get a shower. At this point I'll usually hear Adeline stirring, playing with her musical dog "Violet" and just talking to herself in general. She's a happy girl when she wakes up, on the weekends sometimes Brian and I will listen to her yack for an hour even before we get up if she's not crying. It's a glorious thing really. So I go in her room, and she sees me and jumps up all excited like. I pick her up and the first thing she usually says is "Bay-la," as she sees Bella walking in the room. I put her on the changing table to change her diaper - this is the only time she gets mad when sometime changes her diaper. First thing in the morning, you take her diaper off, and she's pissed. I mean really, this should be the best thing that happens to her all day! I try to remind Adeline that she's getting her butt cleaned and a refreshing diaper after sitting in doo doo for 12 hours, but she doesn't care. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm laying her down again right when she got up for the day. But anyway, diaper changing is not usually a fun part of the morning. Kids.
So after I change her diaper, I sit her up and she's instantly a happy camper again. I get her clothed so she can calm down a little before I do her hair. Getting her hair did is not quite on the list of things Adeline loves either. Usually she gets in a fuss, so I take her off the table and put her down, and start doing the hair of a moving toddler. She laughs and thinks it's hilarious that I'm trying to do her hair while she's running away from me. But it gets done. I get the diaper bag ready and we take off to daycare. We leave the house around 7:30am or 7:45am at the latest. It's pretty much a get up and go routine every morning.
Daycare:
Adeline goes to daycare every day and she really likes it. She needs to be entertained by other kids, as you will find out later in this post. I'll go visit her at lunch most days, so that's fun for both of us. At this point, daycare is a good situation for everyone involved. By the way, Brian was a stay at home daddy for two days last week when Adeline was sick. I have been informed that he has since retired, however. I will be hosting a lunch soon for his long 48 years, er, hours of service.
Evening:
Fast forward to the evening.
Get home from daycare around 5:30pm. Adeline is grumpy. I think it's a combination of a few things: 1) I've taken her away from the awesome toys and kids that she was engrossed in 2) Because of this she needs my undivided attention to entertain her and make up for it 3) She suddenly realizes she's hungry and getting tired
So I hurry up and try to get dinner ready while trying to keep Adeline occupied in the meantime. Today, she is hungry, and I sit her in her chair and she's in excited about some pizza. she gobbles the pizza down and is in much better spirits afterwards. I get her down from her chair, and runs to the back door and pounds on it squaking "eh eh eh!!!" So we go outside on the patio. She gathers all her toys and throws them in the baby pool. She then starts taking the toys out one by one and throwing them over the stone wall. She wants me to go get them. I know this game, as I know she will just throw them back over the wall once I get them. So when I don't get them, she climbs onto a patio chair and stands on it. I try to ask her to sit down but she won't. I decide it's time to go inside.
So we go inside, and now she wants to go play in the front yard. So I sit on the porch and watch her run up and down the driveway and yell and laugh. She loves it.
So we're done with that. I decide we should go for a walk. So we go for an hour walk around the neighborhood. This is one of the best parts of the evening. I get to get out and get some exercise, and she's very content sitting in her stroller and taking in all the sites.
We get home, and I try to sit on the couch and relax. Adeline wants to get on the couch. So I put her on the couch and she climbs all over me. Then she wants down. She wants the TV remote I just picked up. I take the battery out so she can play with it. But now I want to change the channel. I take the remote back, but the battery back in, and change the channel. Adeline grabs the remote. I try to hide the remote. She wants up on the couch again. So I just resign myself to the floor and I put her back on the couch. So she gets on the couch and is now running on the couch and yelling, and then falling on the couch and laughing. She is being super silly. She does it over and over again while i'm trying to make sure she doesn't fall off - there are several close calls. Finally she does fall and I catch her before she hits the ground. I decide we're done with that. I tell her to go get me a book. So she does and we read a book.
She wants to go back outside on the patio. I let her go outside for a few minutes. I tell her it's time to come inside again. She sees I have a clementine. "Eh eh eh!" She wants some! We eat 4 clementines. She runs to the front door. I tell her we're not going outside anymore today. She gets mad but then wanders off.
I try to sneak away to the computer. She follows me and climbs on her table and chair set nearby. She climbs onto on her chairs and then on top of the table and plays for a few minutes and then wants in my lap. I put her in my lap, but she immediately tries to climb on the desk. So I put her on the desk. She bangs on the keyboard. I try to keep her from doing this and push her hands away to thwart her efforts - she thinks it's hilarious and laughs as I push her hands away. She just tries harder. She pushes something to make the font and letter really small. I don't know what she did. We're done with the computer.
We go back in the living room and I try to sit back on the couch. I'm sitting here for 5 seconds with my feet on the couch, and Adeline comes over and puts her head down near my feet.
Ouch!! She just bit my toe!!! She looks surprised at my reaction.
I get down on the floor and read her a couple more books. She starts climbing over me again and again. I then ask her to bring me her toys by name, one by one, to keep her entertained. The living room is now cluttered with toys. She is starting to rub her eyes and get a little whiny. Lo and behold, it's 8pm! Bedtime!
I bring her up to bed, change her diaper, and put her in her F-15 t-shirt. I take her in the bathroom and put a smidge of toothpaste on her toothbrush. I attempt to brush her eight teeth - she complies fairly well. We then go sit in the rocking chair and read Goodnight Moon. I think she has had enough books today - she doesn't really want to read. I put her in her bed and turn on 10 min of Violet's bedtime music. Her pink blanket is not in her bed. She loves her pink blanket. Omg, if I can't find this pink blanket she might not go to sleep. She always goes to sleep so well. I look all over for it and finally find it in our room. Thank goodness. I also fill her cup with water and hand it to her. I make sure a book is in her bed so she can read if she wants before she goes to sleep. She makes no fuss and falls asleep shortly.
I was a engineering major and collegiate athlete. But taking care of a toddler even for 2.5 hours takes hard and tiring to a completely different level.
Goodnight moon, goodnight stars and the red balloon.
No comments:
Post a Comment