Thursday, April 12, 2012

Are kilts coming back into style?

So I was playing on REI's website looking for some new shorts for this summer and I noticed a dude wearing a kilt from Mountain Hardware.  I immediately saw the utility in that while backpacking, and after a little more research, it turns out they are become quite a fad among certain circles.

One of the largest brands is called Utilikilt and they sell a handful of varieties for various purposes from everyday dress, to construction, to survival.  It appears they are one of the largest manufacturers of kilts and have a handful of stores around the U.S.
(Photo from www.utilikilt.com)

I can only imagine how comfortable it is to have all that air conditioning while hiking.  No wedgies, no chaffing, just a cool breeze and endless comfort.

I'd love to pick one up, but at $215 for the original, and $330 for the Survival, I'm not sure that's quite in my price range for a hiking garment.  Plus I don't think my wife would hike with me anymore...

No comments: