Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mt. Columbia

As part of the 4th of July festivities while Hayley was in town, Sarah decided to introduce her to 14ers. The planning began the night before and it was decided that we would climb Mt. Massive near Leadville. As a little back story, Sarah constantly nags me about how she ALWAYS plans all of the trips and I never help. Being the outstanding husband that I am, I decide to step up, "Sweatheart, I got his one." So I quickly take a peek at the map, look at where we have to go, and memorize the route. Piece of cake. What's so hard about that? The next day we are out the door and driving by 5am. I'm feeling pretty good about myself, feeling like a good husband, just enjoying the road. I take I-70 west, get off at C-9, and head south. After a few hours we see a sign that says, "Fairplay 9 Miles." Sarah tells me if Fairplay is in 9 miles, we are on the wrong road. I assure her that the turnoff to go to Fairplay is in 9 miles, and we'll be to Leadville in no time. Boy was I wrong. We were in Fairplay. Later I'd learn that I needed to take C-91, not C-9. Anyone could make that mistake. Really. I mean, what's an order of magnitude among friends? Ok, I can recover from this. What's plan B? We didn't have a plan B. I did the only thing a good husband could do at this point, pass the buck. "Sarah, come up with Plan B. What 14ers are close to Fairplay?" We decide to do Mt. Harvard. Luckily for me though, after driving half way to the mountain, the road become impassible, there-by plunging me even farther into trouble. "What mountain can we do from right here?" Mt. Columbia of course. But it isn't the standard route up the mountain. No problem. I got this one. We head up the mountain and plug away without a care in the world. We get to a stream and turn up the trail the heads up the mountain. After a few hours we realize that we most certainly aren't on the right trail, and have in fact missed the turnoff for the first route to the peak, and haven't gone far enough to reach the second route to the peak. Shit. I try to explain how beautiful this valley we are in is, and how it's almost as good as making the peak. I'm not sure Sarah is buying it, but I keep spoon feeding it to her anyways. Hopefully one of these days I'll be allowed to sleep in the bedroom again, but secretly, I don't mind sleeping on the couch. It's kind of like camping... FLICKR!

No comments: