Brian and I got married relatively...quickly. I remember calling my mom to tell her I was getting married, to which she got kind of quiet, trying to recover from the heart attack she just had. And then finally I heard, "So. Who's Brian?"
Maybe I knew this one could be different when when I got my car stuck in a mudslide on top of a cliff in the middle of the mountains in the pouring rain at night. And it wasn't even that Brian never got upset and calmly found us a ride to town to a hotel, but I distinctly remember both of us giggling like school kids who just got away with a lot of trouble and couldn't wait to do it again. Or maybe I knew this man could hang with my misadventures when my car blew up 100 miles from El Paso with every piece of worthless crap I had to my name in it, and he left the Palms in Las Vegas that night to catch the red-eye to Albuquerque and drive down to Texas to pick my butt up after I sold my car to the junk yard. We had been dating for 3 months. And can you believe this man proposed to me 3 weeks later?
In the past couple years we've had lots more adventures - battling winter snow storms in Chile, a beautiful 10 days backpacking in Mt Rainier, a romantic two weeks in New Zealand, with dozens of hiking and backpacking trips in Colorado mixed in between. But some of my favorite times with Brian have been the simpler nuances of daily life. Like when we go to the grocery store, and his favorite game is to hide from me in the aisles when I'm not looking and watch me turn in circles like a confused mother who swears her 5 year old son was right here....but I secretly do think it's pretty funny.
All joking aside, Brian is the most patient, loving, happy go lucky man I have ever met. I'm still not really sure how I got so lucky, except that I stalked him on MySpace and asked if he wanted to have a beer and catch up because I hadn't seen him in a year or so, and the next thing I know we were getting married. It was pretty awesome.
We have big plans for the future - wandering in Europe, trekking in Nepal, waving the Michigan St flag on top of Mt Kilimanjaro. And kids! Brian is going be such a great Dad, even if he is high-fiving our kids for various mischief behind my back. He's really excited, he keeps telling me to "hurry up!" and "make that baby faster!" Well dear, perfection takes time...
My mother always told me I needed someone to "save me from myself." Well, I'm not sure I found that in Brian so much as I acquired a partner in crime instead, but that was exactly what I was going for.
I love you baby!!
2 comments:
awwwwwwwwwwwww. you two are awesome. :)
barf. ;-)
congrats u guys
Post a Comment