After the game we jumped in our two cars and headed out to find this campsite that Doug's friend had told us about. After winding up this mountain for 15 minutes, we came to our pull off, parked the cars, and hiked in a little bit to find the campsite. What a find. The site was on the southern slope of the mountain. Off to the east we could see Denver, and to the west was a perfect view of Longs Peak (the hiking goal of this weekend by the way).
After setting up camp, we made our campfire, settled in and made some hot dogs for dinner. While were we setting up though, one of the neighbors apparently talked to Doug and asked if we wanted fish if they caught some. Never one to turn down free food, Doug said yes. Around 9pm they guy came waltzing over with a basked of 4 large rainbow trout, and about 10 crayfish.
Doug game me a knife and I gutted the fish and threw them on ice, and the crayfish were rinsed off, put in a pile, wrapped in tin foil and thrown in the fire. Good eats if I say so myself.
Sunday morning we woke up just before sunrise, had some coffee with the Blocksmas, then headed down the road to our trail head. After I got us lost once because I don't know the difference between Route 34 and Route 43, we made it and started hiking. Of course the first thing I realize is that I forgot to pack the camera (but is anyone really surprised?). The next thing we discovered is the mountain that I picked for us to hike isn't 15 miles round trip, it's 15 miles one way. Needless to say, we were disappointed, and by disappointed, I mean that Sarah was pissed at me.
The hike was nice none the less and we made it back home by mid afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment