Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rock Climbing

So this weekend didn't end up being quite as exciting as we had hoped, but it was good none the less. Originally we were suppose to camp with the Blocksma's on Friday night, do some rock climbing on Saturday, then summit Long's Peak on Sunday.
Well Friday night, we decided not to go camping because Sarah was pretty tired and we didn't get home from work until late, but I still wanted to go climbing with Doug and Liz, so I got up early on Saturday morning (Sarah wasn't really doing the early thing) and headed up to the Iron Clads.
I met Doug and Liz at the top of a rocky, rough road that Bonny almost didn't make it up. We ended up parking around 10am and started our hike up to the rocks.
After putting on some borrowed equipment, Doug led us up Seething Bitch, which is a 5.8. For those of you that don't understand the climbing rating system, a 5.8 is harder than a 5.7, but easier than a 5.9. Beyond that I have no idea what it means...
My first time was pretty good, I felt comfortable enough and only hung a time or two before I got the hang of it. Next we headed over to Short Sighted (5.7), then Rip Off Ranger (5.9), followed by Five Finger Discount (5.9), then over to Mt. Boner for the big climb of the day.
Liz wanted to lead a route before we headed home for the day, so she was the first one up Shaking the Pope's Hand. It was at least twice as tall as our other climbs, and Liz executed it perfectly. I went next and cleaned up the equipment, then Doug finished off the day and rappelled down.
Needless to say, I'm hooked. I've got my own equipment now (I was going to hold off until next year, but I just took the plunge anyways) and can't wait to get out again.
Saturday night, we checked the weather and it looked kind of dodgy over Long's Peak, so we called off the hike. Instead, I put up our custom blinds that finally came it and did random yard work. Not very exciting, but necessary.  Now that our windows are finally full covered, I can walk around in my birthday suit without having to run from cover to cover...

1 comment:

DougieB said...

hooray for safety! we were tooling around doing errands yesterday afternoon wondering if you guys were up there or not.

also, i should get to making that ftp setup to get you the pictures on the day. check yo' email.